At a Glance
10 plus one reasons to love us:
We are free and independent:
- We are not a charter or public school.
- We don’t teach to the test.
- We work toward excellence, not a number.
- We do not answer to a union or follow political trends or fashions.
- Families choose EHS and we choose them – no lottery.
- Our students are recruited by and attend the best high schools, for good reason!
Each child matters:
- Our school has only 150 students.
- 18 student class maximum.
- We share deep history and a strong connection with our El Barrio community and families.
- We were founded in 1993.
- Our mother institution, Exodus House, was founded in 1963.
- Our families are key participants in our elegant and successful fundraisers.
- Our parents take free yoga classes at our school, offered by Namaste New York, a wellness concierge to the elite!
- The calm energy and respectful approach of our school is a reflection of the same integrity and values that have long given El Barrio its resilience. And like El Barrio, we demand some fun and laughter in our day, too!
- Parents get a weekly report card for their child, detailing class participation, quiz scores, homework, and more!
- Our students have gym four days a week.
- Our students get free play time every day.
- We have soccer, wrestling, and lacrosse teams!
- We are agile, mobile, but never hostile.
Your child is more than a test score:
- We have drama and visual arts.
- We have real science labs.
- Admissions is based on character, not a lottery or test.
- Our students have free play time in our beautiful yard – everyday.
- Our in-house chef prepares sumptuous vegetarian meals fresh every day!
- Our staff, students and families demand ethical behavior.
- No one is allowed to stop a class from learning.
- Our families have strong values.
- Our modern building is full of light, is clean, and allows children to learn.
- We have an outdoors program that gets our students out into natural beauty.
- Our calm and serene atmosphere allows peace, reverie, deep learning, and true friendships.
We are always there for you:
- We support our alumni in high school placement, college admissions, and the job search.
- We match our alumni to travel abroad and wilderness programs.
- Our staff, our families, alumni, trustees, and supporters form a grand extended family.